Friday, July 31, 2009

Library and Information Technicians from Mohawk College?

Has anyone ever taken this program through Mohawk via part-time distance ed? I have some questions.


Most of the courses only take around 3 hours a week of "in-class" time, but you're supposed to give yourself 10-15 hours per week to accomplish each of them. Did you really find they took this much time, or if not, how much time did you actually put into them?


I have no prior experience in a library. Do you think this diploma (which includes a co-op of course) could actually get me a job in the field?


Also, did you have a hard time finding a place to do your co-op at if you didn't live in Hamilton? I'm concerned no one will take me here b/c Mohawk is in Hamilton and I'm elsewhere. (I don't know if this is a legitimate concern or not, but it can't hurt to ask!)


Thanks a bunch! :o)

Library and Information Technicians from Mohawk College?
I am in the process of taking this course by distance ed. If you have no library experience, and if you do all the exercises in the modules, you will need 10 hours per week. You could certainly get a job in a library or in a related field but your chances are better if you live in a larger town or city. Haven't done my co-op, (although I already work in a public library) but if there is a library near you, they will likely be glad to have an extra pair of hands so you can probably do your practicum there. Maybe ask them before you sign up. Bear in mind that if you have some university or college background you may be able to get out of doing some courses.


No comments:

Post a Comment